SHREE ENDS, SANITY COMES HOME AGAIN

02:49 by tsup ug

I remember those days in high school; I was the bored type since I literally didn’t like many of the things my classmates liked. Not that am weird but I saw no point in watching a Spanish drama or anything like it. I thought they were the worst thing to happen to the TV industry, I mean what’s the point of watching some heiress from Caracas strive as a dress maker in Santiago or something…………..yes no point.
So every time I saw a telenova start on a local channel I would rant my lungs out, you know that type of rant meant to make everyone watching feel bad?  That’s the one I would dish, I felt like whoever kept sponsoring these shows was conniving to kill our sorry TV industry.
Then about two years back, one famous local channel (by famous I mean Michel Jackson famous). You all know that station with dustless news, yes that one. They started a cult with one occult type of drama, probably we never saw this coming.
Many of us had religiously hated the Spanish dramas and never did we assume to even settle for something less. But trust the TV with a vision; they made the Telenova lovers not only settle for so much less but for an Indian drama.
Not that I hate Indians but, seriously if you are showing me an Indian drama at least let it be the one directed Dan Boyle, do you know him? That’s the dude behind Slumdog Millionaire so anything by him I will truly watch but sincerely Shree??
I know it took the maids industry by storm but Ugandan TV can do so much better. For the first time I saw a Ugandan maid united by a foreign show designed to suit something they fully believe in “witchcraft”.
Shree, who I thought was some chic from Aga Khan was the lead with some dude called Harry, their love was somewhat doomed by some evil spirit, blah blah.
I don’t know if the show was as bad as Imagined It to be but for me it’s undoing was the fact that it was an English Indian drama interpreted by some VJ from God knows where. At around 5:40pm when you passed by a television workshop, you could think they were watching a Golola, Nagy rematch but it was Shree.
I accept she was the hot type and I might have said I would hit that a couple times after seeing her. But there she was telling us everything she was going to do before she actually did it; no one gave me reason not to watch this show like this chic. Too hot but her mouth always gave away two or more episodes a head. What a worse way to write a script, can you imagine one talking to themselves like “let me put the poison in his cup, when he comes he will drink and die” really…………?
This was a ki nigeria just that this was done by some pretty face you could easily pass to be a shorter version of Sudhir's daughter, (you guys know her?............i also don't)
According to the wikipedia information on the drama, it was screened on zee tv in 2008 (thats literally before walk to work) and was done in Hindi. This means what our beloved tv showed and summed up last week was a dubbed version of the drama. What the heck, can you imagine watching a telenova done in Spanish, then its dubbed to English and then dubbed by VJ Jingo to make it luganda and I guess those on TV west will also have to quadruple dub it to make it Kinyankole...........just pray Vision group opens no more indigenous channels ehhh.
If they have to rewatch all the soaps and stupid dramas already shown in kampala, that would be stress active reloaded. Its not that I hate my maid's favourite channel since even the so called elite channels have fed us on rotten tomatoes from venezuela for almost a decade, in fact if ugandan tv had truly gotten independence in 1962, Salvado and Barbarita came and took it away in the mid 90s. (yes am capitalising on the independence mood too).
So just last week this Shree madness found its way back to india leaving us with more sanity and totally nothing for our maids to talk about. Any lessons drawn from the drama, yes, with all due respect for my indian friends, when I watched this show I learnt that Indians are very beautiful species than many of us and thats very distracting.
In fact if I will miss any thing about this show it will be those random glances Shree used to give me whenever I watched, they were so deep. Ok someone has just reminded me that she was looking into the camera not me.
All in all I will not miss this show, and tell you what? I like the effects of its ending, can you imagine my maid is IQ is set to rise by 2 percent......BRAVO.

0 comments:

Post a Comment