Baffled by a TV advert

06:42 by tsup ug
In my opinion sex is not compulsory in a real relationship; it’s just a bonus for good behavior. But just like I said, that’s just my opinion (which is so right).
Very many times I’ve come under fire because of my opinion about movies, music, radio and TV adverts, it’s like I just can’t get my mouth shut, I keep talking and talking like they would pay me for it.
But I don’t blame myself either, if you were in my shoes, you too would get irked by some of our radio or even TV adverts. And in any way I know you too would rant about many of them.
You will even wonder who shot, directed and also did the copy write. Just the other day I watched one of our funniest TV advert, as you may know, this blockbuster of an ad features our one and only Olympics medalist.
We all love Steven Kiprotich, he won our only gold in 40 years and he indeed deserves the praise but that advert!
It kicks off with a rather young and fat Steven Kiprotich, with a desire to become a world champion, even when the advert is set in Uganda’s 1990s, the young boy is donning a 2012 designed shirt but that’s not the issue with this advert. The real problem is at the end of it where Kiprotich is sipping water at the top of some bushy hill.
When I first watched the advert alone, I thought it was good in fact I applauded the creativity though, when I watched it with my niece, I totally changed my mind after a question she asked.
“Why is he wearing his medal in the bush”, she asked and that’s when I saw all the flaws in my lovely advert.
I realized that Kiprotich didn’t have to climb that bushy mountain to drink packaged water, he was even putting on a coat and a flag wrapped around him even though it looked really hot. Was this advert meant to prove that Uganda is such a safe haven that even with a Gold medal you can climb hills and mountains without any one stealing it?
Then that water he used to refresh after running, did someone forget his bottle only for Kiprotich to donate it to himself or some dude was involved in charity activities of placing mineral water bottles in suspicious places? Bottom line where did the water come from?
Such are the adverts we see on TV, at times, they even get politicians and church leaders talking. Some are simply part of the sermon and others are slotted into Museveni’s speech as random jokes. Haven’t you guys heard him grumble with words like “we no longer do this”?
That’s when I realized that even with his busy schedule; the president actually has some time for TV, if he could only call in during live shows.  I think he could obviously end up putting a ban on that advert where kids systematically usurp UPDF’s powers with elephants, mbu it’s the strength of a nation.
And now, just the other day a famous pastor came out to protest and probably tell us that he actually takes his TV serious. Dude had been scratched the wrong way by an advert where the phrase “am leaving you old boy” was a ringtone.
The advert left the pastor’s head spinning not believing what Ugandans were up to, he promised to sue the company that owned the advert and before we knew, the advert was remade and thus reuniting the old couple, how I miss that Namalayo shirt from the first edition.
This however is not the first time the clergy have been involved in TV adverts, there was that one where, some dude used a phone application to change his voice to sway the pastor’s daughter and a prominent one indeed. This too met a lot of criticism and it was also taken off air……just like that.
Ugandans have always been at it with advertising, not always the best but they will get the message home, just of recent, someone in an advert calling on people to attend his concert declared that the blind will enter free of charge, but, sincerely why would a blind person opt to watch a show in the first place?
In my opinion, such an advert is not any different from the other one where you lose your I phone5 to a thief and they tell you not to worry…mbu be happy. Mocking us just.
Then we have these people who do adverts for foreign artistes’ concerts, they put a lot of emphasis on when he will alive but after the show, no one tells us when they actually leave, for me I want to know, so that I can review staff of their friends in their presence, trash their concert or better, send greetings to the only family member of mine living in the US. I think show organizers should reconsider, but any way, this too is just part of my sick opinions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment