Two minutes with Mr. Vegas

23:46 by tsup ug
I love my job for a number of reasons; I wake up at 10:00am, face book during work hours and, in this kind of profession, hanging out through the night is called looking for stories, my editor calls it hard work.
Part of my working description is talking with celebrities, attending exotic parties called exhibitions and theme nights. Now, as a journalist, such privileges get many girls turning my way. They believe I have the magic to fulfill their dream of being a Bebe Cool video Vixen. Thus, like Liverpool, Andrew never walks alone…..at night.
During the street jam, all my journalism gems came into play. I pulled a number of strings, calls and just like that, I was backstage.
In fact, as Samson Baraga was sweeping the place with a camera, I was backstage in my own, “Me time” and enjoying all the action in 3D.
There were a number of Ugandan artistes suckling all sorts of staff that produced white smoke and since Mr. Vegas was in our proximity, Jamaican slangs and lingual came in a high gear. In fact, I also used the word bomboclat a number of times ...just to fit in.
Then Mr. Vegas came, since I had met him earlier at the Serena based NTV, some of his crew members easily recognized me especially the female dancer, “hey you,” she said, plus other sentences I didn’t and will never understand. I think she was greeting me again.
I reached out to Mr. Vegas and shook his rather soft hands, he too said some staff (which I obviously didn’t understand) I nodded once in approval then disagreed at the same time.
When I reached for my camera to take pictures with them, the mean guys they came with objected and thus denying my facebook page one hell of a profile picture with Mr. Vegas’ blessed dancer.
However, as I was still enjoying my language barrier moments with the heads high singer and his crew, one overly passionate upcoming artiste walked to the crew and blurted out some of our Kampala made Jamaican slangs. Mr. Vegas turned to his Ugandan entourage for interpretations, they were chasing blanks and the inspired artiste couldn’t stop talking.
When the sassy dancer turned to me for help, I laughed and argued the artiste was indeed a city comedian. I walked away unceremoniously to avoid further interpretation embarrassments.
For a moment, the incident got me thinking of all our Jamaican inspired music, if Mr. Vegas and his crew from Kingston couldn’t understand it, then who does?
It reminded me of another incident when Jamaican Demarco and Wayne Wonder were in town, during a press conference, a renown dancehall artist tried to pose questions using our Kisenyi coded Jamaican slangs, Demarco kept pardoning and asking for the meaning of what this dude was saying. By the time he was done with his question, the Uga-Jamaican had turned English.
Now with the recent one at the Vegas do, I highly doubt if these boys understand what they even say is those bu songs of theirs, I hear “dema kankana when dey ma see mi,” umm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment