CAMPUSER’S CORPORATE EXPERIENCE

22:27 by tsup ug
…………I Opened my eyes, looked at the ceiling. My head was heavy and I hated my own odor to say that I smelt like brewery would be a lie because, it’s like I had a brewery in me. I started thinking hard, “am I supposed to be here?” but soon I realized that the only way I could answer this was by trying to think where my parents anticipated me to be at that time. I reached for my phone; it was 11:30am the actual time for my second lecture. That’s when reality struck; Sunday is not good for dates. That’s when I started recollecting the day I had anxiously waited for.
A telecom company had organized something at Serena hotel, I had been invited by this guy whose name I was still struggling to grasp. He aid for my dress, shoes and bag insisting about the dress code. Within the first five minutes of the gathering, I had already I was in the wrong place with the wrong crowd. Men were pulling seats for women as if they had no better staff to do. Probably they’ve watched a lot of desperate house wives and sos.
Women behaved, laughed like they were preserving make up already on their faces. Because of the way I was dressed, I instantly learnt that I had to behave like a lady, something am allergic to.
I didn’t have any idea of the recession, credit crutch or economic recovery talks. I kept nodding in approval not to feel out of place. I was craving for someone to say something about Kanye West or Lady Gaga but no one did. Meanwhile, I used this time to appreciate Serena’s nice lights; I had never been there before.
One thing rallying in my mind was “why did he choose to invite me?” we had only met at some night club and up to now I was still struggling to remember his face and now with him involved in that credit munch…………… whatever talks, I could hardly remember him.
But if there was any thing to notice, thing around here are quite amazing and many things were surprising me that at times I found my eyes wide open as if I had seen Yna and Angelo around.
I started looking for a seat and that’s when my date came, acted like a gentleman and got me one, I sat down and got a chance to look into his eyes, and oh my God!!!
There was nothing deep about them and this almost sent me to the loos to scream; why me? Though the continuous flow of drinks kept me around. He asked for a tall green bottle with some label I was definitely seeing for the first and probably the last time.
He later invited me to the dance floor, it was a ballroom dance of sorts (you know those ones St Lawrence students usually talk about to show off). I knew nothing about this too that am actually surprised he continuously kept quiet whenever I stepped his shoes.
He asked me if I was “buzzed up”…………., I shook my head in disapproval not because I understood what buzzed up meant but simply because I didn’t want to associate with that word and whatever it meant.
By this time I had downed a lot of beers and some staff in green and colored bottles. This was the only thing keeping me here coz my body and my spirit were already out of this corporate party.
And the corporate guys…………. They also get senselessly drunk and start making noise about almost every thing from their wives latest demands to them failing to see their feet because of their “godly given” potbellies.
It was at around 12 am that I felt enough was enough. I fled off to the loos with a glass, I really wanted to leave. This experience not campus at all in fact I felt like the only thing I hated more than this experience was only education. I took a sip and started nodding to an imaginary sound of pussycat dolls’ I hate this spot right here, took another sip………………
And that’s all I remember.

As told to kaggwa Andrew

0 comments:

Post a Comment